The Board Policy Handbook has been developed to highlight and support the important governance function of the Board. It includes the following framework:
- Foundational statements which provide guidance and direction for all activities within the District;
- Directions for how the Board itself is to function and how individual trustees are to conduct themselves; how Board committees and representatives are to function;
- Statements as to how appeals and hearings will be conducted;
- Non-delegable matters such as policy making and school closures; and
- Specific matters which the Board has chosen not to delegate to the Superintendent.
This Board Policy Handbook is intended to be supplemented by the Administrative Procedures Manual; the primary written document by which the Superintendent directs staff.
Please note that the electronic versions of both the Board Policy Handbook and the Administrative Procedures Manual on this website are always the most current documents available.
Policies that have been approved for Notice of Motion by the Board of Education are circulated for comment and discussion before they are brought back to the Board for consideration by Trustees. Policies currently under a Notice of Motion are posted below under the category ‘Notices of Motion’. If you have any comments or suggestions concerning any of the draft policies under consideration by the Board, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The BC School Trustees Association (BCSTA) also provides a database of policies for school districts throughout B.C. Langley School District’s policies can also be accessed through this on-line service.
Notices of Motion
The Langley School District’s Policy Manual has undergone a comprehensive review that has been in process for the last several years. At the November 17, 2020 Regular Board Meeting, the Board of Education approved the following 3 motions:
- That the Board of Education serves Notice of Motion to the District’s education community and its education partner groups that it intends to rescind all current Board Policies, Regulations, and Administrative Procedures effective December 15, 2020.
- That the Board of Education serves Notice of Motion to the District’s education community and its education partner groups that it intends to approve the Board Policy Handbook with the amendment of Policy 5 and Policy 7, effective December 15, 2020.
- That the Board of Education serves Notice of Motion to the District’s education community and its education partner groups that it intends to acknowledge receipt of the Administrative Procedures Manual with amendments to Policy 354, for information purposes only on December 15, 2020.