School Counselling & Mental Health Support

School counselling functions include individual, group and class work to provide both an intervention and a prevention service.

The counsellor:

Promotes personal and social development appropriate to developmental stages;

Counsels students, their families and the community to foster growth in the students’ self esteem, individual responsibility, and in skills such as decision-making and social skills;

Ameliorates factors which may precipitate problems for students;

Enhances students’ educational achievement through goal setting, assisting with the development of IEPs and activities such as promotion of effective work and study habits;

Provides appropriate interventions to assist students with school-related problems and issues;

Facilitates the goals of career education by assisting students and their families to explore and clarify the student’s career options, through developmental activities that stress decision-making, personal planning and career awareness (at the Secondary level)

The following information was taken from the Ministry of Education’s document “Special Education Services: A Manual of Policies, Procedures and Guidelines”(2013).

Counselling is Confidential

The counsellor provides a confidential, safe, non-judgmental environment where a therapeutic relationship can be formed to facilitate emotional healing, empowerment toward positive change, development of coping strategies, and awareness of developmental issues.  Confidentiality means that what a child talks about and shares in session is private between the counsellor and the child.  This statement applies equally to interview notes, test data, and any other documents used to assist in the counselling process.  Notes are to be kept as part of the counsellor’s record, but not part of the records kept in the office of the school.

Confidentiality is one of the most important components of counselling.  The exceptions to confidentiality are as follows:


  1. Consent: With the consent of the student, the counsellor may divulge information received through the counselling relationship.
  2. Potential Harm: If behaviour of the student threatens potential harm to him/herself or another person, the counsellor shall take appropriate action to protect the student and/or the other person.
  3. Child Protection: A counsellor who has reason to believe that a child is or might be in need of protection shall forthwith report the information to the appropriate authorities in accordance with legal obligations pursuant to child protection legislation.
  4. Consultation and Collaboration: A counsellor may consult and collaborate with other professionals for purposes of more effectively helping the student. The teacher-counsellor shall share only such information that will serve the best interests of the student.
  5. Legal Requirements: A counsellor may be required to provide records in compliance with the law.

Informed consent for counselling

In the Langley School District, parental permission is required for elementary and middle school aged students to see a school counsellor on an ongoing basis.  A secondary aged student has the right to seek counselling support without a parent’s expressed consent.


Counsellors must possess a Master’s degree in Counselling Psychology or a related field from an institution recognized by the College of Teachers, with training in school counselling theory and techniques.  School counsellors must also possess a professional teaching certificate, and be full members of the British Columbia Teachers’ Federation and College of Teachers.

Access to school counselling services

If you feel your child could benefit from counselling services, please contact the school directly.

Mental Health Resources

In addition to school counsellors, the Langley School District works with many community agencies to support positive mental health for students.  The following is a list of community agencies who can provide families with support and intervention for mental health concerns.  Families should access these agencies directly.  If a parent has a concern about their child’s health, contacting their family doctor is always a recommended place to start.

Community Resources in Langley

  • Langley Child & Youth Mental Health (CYMH)

    • 604.514.2711
    • @ Ministry of Children and Families Offices (MCFD)
    • 20434 – 64th Avenue, Langley
    • Intake Clinic – Wednesdays 8:30 am – 3:30 pm
    • Parent/Guardian accompanies child/youth to the intake clinic. Clients arrive, sign-in and are seen in the order they arrive; they need to have their medical card.
    • This service is for moderate to high mental health issues. Medical doctors should be involved with low risk level mental health concerns.
    • After the intake process, a decision is made about future services/counselling.

    Please note: Please take your child to the hospital emergency department if there is a crisis.

  • Langley Community Services Society (LCSS)

    • 604.534.7810
    • 5339 207 Street, Langley
    • Government agency that offers free or low-cost programs in for families
      Family and individual counselling; parent support, settlement and integration and substance use services
  • Langley Youth & Family Services (LYFS)

    • 604.514.2900
    • 5569 204 Street Langley
    • Early intervention and prevention counselling for children/youth and their families for identified at-risk or behavior problems.
    • Referrals from RCMP, Community and Schools
  • Encompass Support Services

    • 604.534.2171
    • 20618 Eastleigh Crescent, Langley
    • Programs include one on one and group support
      • Youth emotional coping strategies group
      • Family mediation and reunification
      • Family Groups – parenting skills and support
      • Sexual Assault Support (for youth under 19)
  • Langley Hospice Society

    • 604.534.1115
    • 20660 48 Avenue Langley
    • Provides emotional and social support for individuals and families who have experience loss through death or support for family and friends of someone with a terminal illness.
    • Grief support through one-on-one or group counselling; summer camps for children/youth
  • The F.O.R.C.E.

    • Families Organized for Recognition and Care Equality
    • The F.O.R.C.E. Society for Kids’ Mental Health is a provincial organization that provides families with an opportunity to speak with other families who understand and may be able to offer support or advice on what has worked for them.
    • The F.O.R.C.E. also provides families and professionals with information, tools, and tips on how to support and assist children with mental health difficulties.
    • The FORCE mandate is to support and empower families and work collaboratively with professionals and systems in understanding and meeting the mental health needs of families.