The ongoing goal of Summer Session in the Langley School District is to provide short term educational opportunities for students to support them in their long term educational development, and to inspire them to reach their full potential. Every year, Summer Session provides an opportunity for grade 1-12 students from Langley and neighboring regions to explore areas of interest, get extra help, and stay connected with their learning during the summer.
Update as of May 22, 2020
Like all Metro Vancouver School Districts that typically run Summer Session, due to the COVID-19 situation we have to make some significant changes this year compared to what we normally offer in Summer and are not able to offer the same variety of courses for grade 1 to 12 students.
- This year there are no grade 1 to 9 classes offered for open registration as part of Summer Session 2020.
- We are offering “Blended Summer Learning”, Full Credit Classes, for Grade 10/11/12. These classes run July 2 to August 7, 2020 from 9:00am to 12:00pm.
Blended Summer Learning – Details
- Blended Summer Learning courses will be a “blend” of online and in-person learning.
- Online tools used will include Moodle, a web based learning system, along with virtual Microsoft Teams meetings happening two days a week. Using Moodle and attending the Teams sessions is required each week.
- Along with the twice per week mandatory Microsoft Teams class times and ongoing work in Moodle, there will be three days per week for optional in-person times offered at R.E. Mountain Secondary.
- These optional times will be scheduled by the class teacher and are designed to help students complete their coursework. Students who do not wish to or are unable to come in-person to REMSS for the support sessions will still receive support online from their teacher and will be able to complete the course without having to attend in-person. However, the voluntary, in-person support times will benefit any students who can attend.
- Summer Session classes happen over a short period in the Summer and require students to be available for the mandatory class times as well as completing their weekly assignments in Moodle.
Grade 10 / 11 / 12 Course Offerings
English Language Arts
- Composition 10 & New Media 10 (Combined)
- Composition 11
- New Media 11
- English Studies 12
- Foundations of Math & Pre-Calculus 10
- Foundations of Math 11
- Pre-Calculus 11
- Pre-Calculus 12
- Workplace Math 10
- Workplace Math 11
- Anatomy & Physiology 12
- Chemistry 11
- Chemistry 12
- Life Sciences 11
- Physics 11
- Physics 12
- Science 10
- Social Studies 10
- World History 12
- Law 12
Please visit our “Registration Page” for more complete information and the link to our registration site.
- All Summer Session classes are based on sufficient enrolment and are subject to cancellation.
- Our contact phone number for Summer Session is being reactivated but this page will be updated with that information as soon as possible.
Student Participation & Engagement in Blended Summer Learning
Before a student registers in a Blended Summer Learning course it is important to note that they are expected to be available for all mandatory virtual / online class sessions and to be able to access the online coursework. If a student is not able to participate in the mandatory class sessions online they may be withdrawn from the course. Students should not register for Blended Summer Learning is they are not going to be able to participate and engage in the learning in the time provided.