Settlement Workers in Schools
The Settlement Workers in Schools Program has been established to assist parents and their children with their early settlement needs. In the Langley School District the Settlement Workers in Schools (SWIS) Program is a school based program that provides direct professional assistance to immigrant, refugee and eligible temporary resident students and their families after their arrival and registration in school.
Settlement workers facilitate the adjustment, adaptation and integration of newcomer families during their inital years in Canada through:
- Initial support and outreach to newcomer families in the district
- Information and counseling on initial settlement
- Orientation to school and community services
- Information, workshops and group activities on school, community and settlement topics
- Needs assessment and action planning through settlement counseling
- Referral to appropriate school programs, community services and government resources
- Youth Support
- Cultural interpretation
The Settlement Workers in Schools Program is supported by the Government of Canada through Citizenship and Immigration Canada and the Langley School District.