Hospital/Homebound Teacher Responsibilities:
- Teach the subject as per the classroom teacher’s requirements. Some specialty subjects
may require a tutor.
- Teach all core subject areas. In most cases, electives (graduation program) will not be taught or will receive limited support.
- Regularly pick up work from school and drop off completed work.
- Administer quizzes, tests and major exams, including Provincial Exams.
- Provide the classroom teacher with regular feedback on how the student is doing.
- Keep counselor, administrator, and other associated school personnel informed about student’s progress.
- Attend meetings led my case manager at the school to establish a return to school plan for student (if necessary).
- Support the student during any part time transition back to school (once student is able to participate in school H/H support ceases).
Classroom Teacher Responsibilities:
- Provide assignments, course materials (e.g. textbooks) and exams in a timely manner into HH box.
- Determine the student’s grade (H/H teacher will provide feedback to classroom teacher if requested).
- Remain the student’s primary teacher.
- Mark and return work to HH box for student and HH teacher to go over.
- Complete the online referral form that is located on the district website. Simply search for Hospital Homebound.
- Provide parent/guardian with H/H Medical Form to be signed by Doctor (Counselor does NOT need to acquire the medical note before making a referral). This form is also found on the district website.
- Contact school (counselor, administrator, teacher) to have a referral completed.
- Provide a doctor’s note, verifying the reason for and approximate duration of absence.
- Provide a Release of Information form if referral is placed under mental health category.
- Have a responsible adult (25 years or older) present during the H/H teacher’s visit.
- Provide a safe, reasonably quiet, smoke-free work area for the lesson.
- Ensure the student is ready for work at the pre-arranged time.
- Arrange for student transport when a home visit is not possible.
- Go over homework sheet with student and help in keeping child on track.