The Langley School District offers the ITA Youth TRAIN in Trades Professional Cook 1 program at Walnut Grove Secondary School. This program, in partnership with Vancouver Community College, offers Langley students the opportunity to participate in Level 1 certified ITA training.
Students earn high school course credits, as well as post-secondary credits, while training to gain the required skills and knowledge to become a Level 1 apprentice upon program completion. (Program Details listed below the video)
Program Length and Dates
- For Grade 12 students (some skilled Grade 11 students may be considered)
- Runs fully school year – September to June
- Monday – Thursdays from 2:30 PM to 7:30 PM with work experience on Fridays (200 hours)
What do you learn?
- Skills and knowledge required to succeed in a range of industries; including restaurants, hotels, institutional kitchens and catering operations.
What do you leave with upon successful completion of the program?
- Credit for at least 8 high school courses (32 credits) in Profession Cook Training and work experience
- Professional Cook 1 (PC1) industry certification
- Level 1 technical training
- ITA Professional Cook 1 certification
- Practical work experience in the field
- ITA Registration
What do you need to get into the program?
- Good attitude and genuine interest in working in the culinary industry
- Physical ability to safely use knives and other related kitchen tools
- Fully proficient in the English language
- Completion of Grade 11
- FoodSafe certification
- One of the following school courses: Cafeteria or Cook Training, Foods and Nutrition 11/12 OR paid or volunteer food preparation work in a restaurant, catering business or professional kitchen