About ITA Youth WORK in Trades
The ITA Youth WORK in Trades program allows students to start their apprenticeship while still in high school. They earn graduation credit and log apprenticeship training hours at the same time. Students can be signed up anytime during the school year.
You might already be eligible to sign up as a Youth WORK apprentice. If you are a high school student with paid part-time employment in a trade, you may be a “hidden apprentice”. Talk to your school’s Youth WORK contact about the kind of work that qualifies, and about registering as a Youth WORK in Trades apprentice.
- earn 16 elective credits towards graduation
- equals 4 courses
- acquire skills employers want
- get a head start on your career
- 480 paid work hours towards your apprenticeship
- seamless transition from school to work
- eligible for a $1000 Award!!!
To be considered for the Youth WORK in Trades Apprenticeship Program, students must:
- have parent or guardian permission
- be 15 years of age or older
- be enrolled in grade 10, 11, or 12
- have paid work in an apprenticeable trade
- have a Certified Tradesperson as a sponsor
- provide your own transportation
- Research your trade(s) of interest @ www.itabc.ca (Industry Training Authority BC)
Click on “Apprenticeship & Red Seal Programs” for the list of trades
- Discuss this information with your school’s Career Education contact
- Find an employer who is a Certified Tradesperson and is committed to sponsoring your Youth WORK in Trades training
- Obtain & complete the Youth WORK in Trades application from your school’s Career Education contact