The Langley School District offers the ITA Youth TRAIN in Trades Horticulture program at Langley Campus of Kwantlen Polytechnic University. This program, in partnership with the KPU, offers Langley students the opportunity to participate in Level 1 certified ITA training.
Students earn high school course credits, as well as post-secondary credits, while training to gain the required skills and knowledge to become a Level 1 apprentice upon program completion. (Program Details listed below the video)
Program Length and Dates
- For Grade 11 and 12 students
- Runs February to June
- 1 semester program – 6 weeks of Level 1 training plus 13 weeks of paid work experience
What do you learn?
- Skills and knowledge needed to complete the Level 1 technical training
- Topics covered include botany, soils, plant identification, pest management and practical skills
- Students learn to use trade equipment, conduct basic engine maintenance, calibrate fertilizer spreaders, make prune cuts, and work as part of a horticulture maintenance t
What do you leave with upon successful completion of the program?
- Dual credit at the Grade 12 level
- Credit for Level 1 Horticulature Apprenticeship
- ITA Registration as a trainee
- Kwantlen student transcript and registration
What do you need to get into the program?
- Good attitude and genuine interest in Horticulture
- interest in working outdoors
- Ability to learn through both “reading” and “hands-on”
- Physically able to do the work
- English 10 and Math 10
- Grade 10 completion recommended