Langley Youth Hub talks LGBTQ2S+ supports for Pride Month
June 23, 2020
June is Pride month, and in recognition, we took this opportunity to talk to Kristie Strange, the Program Coordinator from the Langley Youth Hub, about how the Hub supports LGBTQ2S+ students in Langley. The Hub is a non-profit facility that supports youth, and is run by Encompass Support Services.
What does Pride mean to the Langley Youth Hub?
To us, Pride means creating a space that is safe and inclusive. A place to belong, a place to be unique, a place of equal opportunity, and a place to be loved and respected. Encompass Support Services Society and the Langley Youth Hub are proud to offer our Friends of Dorothy program to the LGBTQ2S+ youth of our community. Friends of Dorothy is a drop-in based group that meets once weekly out of the Langley Youth Hub to provide a safe and inclusive space for youth to connect with and support one another, and strives to provide opportunities to participate in events and awareness campaigns, such as Pride events.
What services in Langley are offered for LGBTQ2S+?
- LGBTQ2S+ Youth Wellness Night: Every third Wednesday of the month LGBTQ2S+ focused primary medical care with a doctor who is trained in LGBTQ2S+ medical care is available. Youth just need call ahead at the Langley Youth Hub (604-546-1130) to speak with an outreach worker to make an appointment.
- LGBTQ2S+ Lending Library at the Langley Youth Hub: LGBTQ2S+ related literature, both fiction and non-fiction that members of the community can identify with is available. All books have been hand selected by a member of the community in partnership with the Hub to reflect themes, characters, and storylines that youth find relatable and relevant to their lives.
- Telehealth Counselling: Youth can access a clinical counsellor through Telehealth counselling sessions on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 3-5 PM. Youth just need call ahead at the Langley Youth Hub (604-546-1130) to speak with an outreach worker to make an appointment.
- Chat with a Youth Outreach Worker: Staff are here at the Langley Youth Hub to listen, validate, and support any questions or concerns you may have going on for you in a safe and inclusive way. Staff can connect youth to gender affirming services and resources. Every Tuesday and Thursday call us at 604-546-1130 between 2-4PM.
- Access to Basic Needs: Staff are here at the Langley Youth Hub on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2-6PM for youth to access essential services such as laundry, showers, groceries, computers, resource system navigation, or connecting with staff. Staff can also support youth with providing activity kits, mindful colouring kits, or games for use at home.
Why is it important to support or provide services for our LGBTQ2S+ youth?
We want to ensure that our community has a safe and inclusive space for all youth. At the Langley Youth Hub, any youth in our community will find acceptance and care under one roof.
Are there any upcoming events that our youth can look forward to?
- Surrey Pride: Tune in at 3PM on June 27, 2020 as Surrey Pride hosts a virtual celebration via Facebook. There will be speeches, presentations, and performances during this two-hour long event in honour of Pride Month.
Additional Links and Resources:
- Qmunity Links:
- Qmunity Youth Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2386049491/
- Youth Road Map: https://qmunity.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/QTBIPOC-Youth-Road-Map.pdf
- Virtual Youth Drop-In: https://qmunity.ca/news/youth-online-drop-in/
- Qmunity Links: