Budget Consultation 2022-2023 Update
May 18, 2022
The Langley School District thanks all members of the community for taking part in the Budget Consultation 2022-2023. The District is pleased with the response from students, staff, and families, and looks forward to continuing to engage the community about education and budget matters in the years to come. The data and feedback gathered will help inform our District Leadership Staff and Board with information needed to make decisions impacting education.
There were more than 2,100 survey respondents and a few emails received by the District.
- The community is engaged and passionate about the budget and education matters.
- The community appreciates the opportunity to provide feedback.
- The community values equity.
- The community prioritizes class size and composition and adequate support for diverse learners and vulnerable students.
- The community prioritizes literacy, social emotional learning, and the mental health and well-being of students.
- The community prioritizes improving facilities and improving classroom resources.
- The community has an interest in early learning.
Below is an overview of the survey broken down by question.
Question 1: Which best describes your relation to the District? (Please choose all applicable options)
Question 2: What education level is a priority for you? (Please choose all applicable options)
Question 3: Please choose the 3 areas that you would personally prioritize to receive additional funding, should it become available.
Question 4: Why are the above areas important to you?
- Many respondents say more support was needed for students with diverse abilities, students with identified needs stemming from health and well-being issues, or other circumstances.
- Many respondents say increased support or attention on class size and composition will help ensure equity among students.
- Many respondents say there is a growing need for increased mental health support for students.
- Many respondents say they want to ensure the education and the basic needs of students are met and that there is equity across the system.
Question 5: The following are themes under the District’s Strategic Plan pillar Educational Opportunities. From the list below, what are your priorities?
Question 6: The following are themes under the District’s Strategic Plan pillar Community Partnerships. From the list below, what are your priorities?
Question 7: The following are themes under the District’s Strategic Plan pillar Operational Priorities. From the list below, what are your priorities?
Question 8: What are your priorities for one-time funds from the accumulated operating surplus? This is referring to times when the District can spend unused operating funds from prior years.
Question 9: Please provide any additional input you have regarding the Langley School District budget 2022-2023.
- Many respondents say there is a need to manage the growth in the District (e.g. new schools, fewer portables, student population).
- Many respondents say there is a need for more support in Learning Support Services (e.g. more SEAs or resource teachers, training for staff).
- Many respondents say there is a need to ensure equity in the system across the District (e.g. consistent education programming, extra-curricular activities, and facilities).
Question 10: Please provide any positive feedback you have regarding programs and services currently provided by the Langley School District.
- Many respondents say staff at all levels are passionate and dedicated.
- Many respondents say they appreciated the options available in the District’s Choice. Programs, Youth Train and Trades, and other related learning opportunities.
- Many respondents say they are pleased with the District’s focus on diversity and inclusion initiatives.
The District will continue to review this data which will be helpful in working with the Board to make decisions that help meet our mission “to inspire learners to reach their full potential and create a positive legacy for the future”. The District appreciates the community for their participation in this budget consultation. If you have any questions or concerns, please email email@example.com.