Long-Term Facilities Plan – Middle Schools Update May 30, 2017
The Board of Education passed 7 motions related to the Long-Term Facilities Plan and the Middle School Consultation process recently undertaken with the Langley Schools community at their Regular Meeting Tuesday, May 30, 2017.
In short, the Board passed the following recommendations :
- In the Brookswood community, the Board has directed staff to establish a Transition Committee that will report back to the Board with a detailed plan to implement a middle school model in the Brookswood community once the Brookswood-Fernridge Community Development Plan is approved by the Township of Langley.
- The Board approved the establishment of a Grade 6 to 12 middle/secondary model at the DW Poppy Secondary facility and directed staff to establish a Transition Committee to report back to the Board by December 2017.
- Staff will report back to the Board by December 2017 on facility implications for the elementary schools in the DW Poppy zone in transitioning to a Kindergarten to Grade 5 model.
- The Board directed staff to include representation from Coghlan Elementary as part of the DW Poppy Transition Committee and to report back to the Board in December 2017 with an implementation plan to transition Coghlan to a K-5 model.
- Staff will also report back to the Board in December 2017 on the facilities implications of transitioning Coghlan to a K-5 elementary school.
- In the WGSS community, staff was directed to establish a Transition Committee to report back to the Board in March 2018 on the implementation plan of establishing the middle school model in that community which will include timeline, possible facility changes and education programming implications.
- Lastly, the Board recommended that staff request of the Ministry of Education the capital funding in the Five-Year Capital Plan submission for the acquisition of a site for construction of a middle school.