- Located at 23752 52 Avenue in Langley
- Current enrollment is about 740 from grades 8-12
- Capacity is 1125 students
- The District has spent 1.3 million on renovations over last 5 years
Long Term Facilities Plan Transition to Middle School
- In 2017, Board decided for District to move to the middle school model
- In 2017, Board approved the establishment of a Grade 6 – 12 middle/secondary education delivery model at the DW Poppy Secondary facility and directed staff to establish a Transition Committee
- From 2017-2019, Transition Committee meetings were held
- In 2019, Transition Committee meetings completed and the District presented three plans to the Board
- In spring 2019, the Board approved District staff to conduct public consultation on the three plans
- In fall 2019, public consultation takes place and the District is expected to report back to the Board with a final recommendation
Long Term Facilities Plan Middle School Update Presentation May 2017 available here: https://district.public.sd35.bc.ca/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2017/06/Reg_LTFP-Middle-Schools-Update_2017May30.pdf
- Total student enrollment at DW Poppy is currently about 740. It is projected to be about 780 students by 2025.
- There are currently about 130 students at DW Poppy from the Aldergrove catchment.
- Student enrollment at Aldergrove Community Secondary School is currently about 530 with it expected to be about 545 by 2025.
- In order to transition DW Poppy into a standalone middle school, the school would require the following aesthetic changes: painting, middle school appropriate desks, chairs, and curriculum resources.
- Renovations over the last five years include the improvements to the gym, creation of common areas, electrical work, painting, new windows and floors.
Plans and range of possibilities:
- Plan 1 Re-submit the request for capital funding to the Ministry of Education.
- Plan 2 Place portables onsite to accommodate at least one grade group.
- Plan 3 DW Poppy becomes a stand-alone middle school and Aldergrove Secondary would become the feeder secondary school.
Langley School District
- Located approximately 45 kilometres southeast of Vancouver, BC, Langley School District provides services to the Katzie, Kwantlen and Matsqui First Nations, the City of Langley and the Township of Langley. The District is honoured to operate on the unceded traditional territories of the Katzie, Kwantlen, Semiahmoo, and Matsqui First Nations.
- The District extends from the US border, north to the Fraser River and is neighbour to the communities of Surrey to the west and Abbotsford to the east. Total area of the district is 313 square kilometres.
- The District serves about 21,000 students; employs over 2,800 teachers, support staff and administrators; and has an operating budget of over $201 million. The district has over 40 schools providing International Baccalaureate, French Immersion, Fundamental, and Alternative programs.